Issue: Creating Organisational buy-in for sustainability
Situation: Sustainability was considered peripheral to this multinational packaging company. It was considered the purview of a specialist group in headquarters, and not a part of daily business. As a result, the organisation was not speaking with one voice, issues were managed post-hoc, and the relatively good sustainability performance was not used to differentiate and grow the business.
Solution: Leverage good sustainability position by creating common understanding of the value of sustainability to the business. Trained environmental, communications and commercial teams; developed and delivered interactive show for top 800 managers which highlighted competitive advantages, trends, and need for investment; and increased visibility of sustainability initiatives. Created optimistic, humorous, and engaging formats that were sufficiently instructive to generate action.
- Positive internal and external reputation;
- sustainability now part of core strategy;
- all countries have senior-level responsibles for environment/sustainability;
- development and agreement of ambitious goals and vision;
- partnerships with environmental groups.
Another example of a Sustainability Business Strategy can be found here.